Monday, August 10, 2026

The Power of "Not Yet"

There is a small word that can change the direction of a school year: yet. A student says, "I can't do this." Add one word and the sentence becomes, "I can't do this yet." The first statement sounds final. The second leaves the door open. It acknowledges the struggle without turning the struggle into an identity.

That matters because students are constantly deciding what kind of learners they believe themselves to be. They collect evidence from grades, assignments, conversations, and the expressions on the faces of the adults around them. A difficult task can quickly become a label: I am not a reader. I am bad at math. I never understand science. I cannot behave in class.

Our words can either reinforce those labels or interrupt them. One of the most important things we do as educators is help students separate where they are today from where they are capable of going. High expectations are not a refusal to recognize difficulty. They are a refusal to believe that difficulty must have the final word. Students need adults who can say, "This is hard, and I am staying with you while you learn it.'

The phrase "not yet" also belongs to adults. We may not have mastered a new program yet. A classroom routine may not be working yet. A relationship with a student may not feel strong yet. The opening weeks of school can tempt us to judge too quickly. We see a problem and assume we are seeing the finished product. But this is only Week 2.

Improvement is rarely dramatic. It is usually a series of small adjustments made with patience and purpose. We try something, study the result, and try again. We reteach. We listen. We change the approach without lowering the expectation. That is not failure. That is learning in motion.

This week, listen for the sentences that sound final. When a student says, "I can't," help add the word that keeps possibility alive. When you hear the same sentence inside your own head, offer yourself the same grace. Not yet is not an excuse. It is a promise that the story is still being written. Let us keep the door open. Let us Make an Impact.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment